Battlefield 1943: New screenshots and details
After EA had announced Battlefield 1943, PC Games Hardware had the chance to play the game briefly.
Battlefield 1943 is based on the Frostbite Engine which is also used for Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Below you can find the most important details:
Battlefield 1943 (Xbox/PS3/PC)
- The game is pure downloadable content with a size of about 350 megabyte. There is no single-player part
- Three maps from Battlefield 1942 are offered
- Support for up to 24 players. Cross platform gaming is not supported
- Intended for fans of the original Battlefield, the game offers "Core Gameplay of Battlefield”. Nevertheless it is easy to deal
- During the presentation on an Xbox 360 linked to a Full HD LCD TV the remake of the map Wake Island was displayed
Battlefield 1943: Technical features
- Due to the HD resolution the graphics looked rather pixeled, the edges were flickering and several textures appeared to be a little washy. According to the developers the graphics on display were not final. The visual highlight is the realization of water with reflections, refractions, waves and spray.
- The Havok physics engine delivers a high grade of destructibility. Parts of the vegetation and many objects like walls, fences, barrels, boxes and so on, as well as many buildings can be destroyed and thus cannot be used as cover anymore. The explosions are quite impressive with the high quality smoke visualization and flying debris and particles.
- The Frostbite Engine supports multithreading and uses more than two processor cores.
- Producer Patrick Liu (Dice) couldn't confirm DirectX 10 support
- Visually there will be no difference between the PC and the console version. Exception: Higher resolutions possible on the PC; probably higher texture resolutions on the PC.
- Planned release: In summer 2009
For more information see the Battlefield 1943 website. Below you can see some screenshots and a trailer.
More articles related to Battlefield
• Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - New screenshots
• Battlefield 1943 coming for PC - Screenshots plus Trailer
PC-Spiele 2017: Games-Liste mit Release-Terminen [Update: Dungeons 3, Northgard, Nier Automata]