Apple Ipad: Steve jobs presents the new gadget
Apple has introduced the Ipad. Steve Jobs himself presented the highly anticipated gadget that comes with a 1 GHz CPU, 16 to 64 Gbyte flash memory and costs 499 USD.
In the common run-up to the final release some pieces of leaked information already caused quite a hype around Apple's Ipad. Now the company has officially introduced the Tablet PC.
Actually the Ipad looks like a giant Iphone and it is supposed to be the missing link between the popular smartphone and the Apple laptops. The primary fields of operation for the Ipad are music, pictures, games, e-books and web surfing.
Apple Ipad: Technical specifications
The Ipad comes with a 9.7 inch display (19 x 13 centimeters) and thus offers a rather big effective surface - the resolution is 1,024 x 768 pixels. With a overall size of 24 x 19 centimeters the Ipad weights 680 grams. The rechargeable battery is supposed to offer an operational time of up to ten hours and in mere standby the charge is even said to last for weeks. The heart of the Ipad is a CPU which is called A4 and runs at 1 GHz. The flash memory capacity varies from 16 to 64 GByte - depending on the configuration.
• 1GHz Apple A4 custom design
• 9.7-inch LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
• 1024 x 768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch
• 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4 mm (height x width x depth)
• 0.68 kg (Wi-Fi), 0.73 kg (Wi-Fi + 3G)
• 25 Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery with up to 10 hours operation battery life
• 16 to 64 GByte flash memory
• WLAN 802.11n, Bluetooth
• Acceleration sensor
For the full specifications, take a look at the Ipad product website.
Apple Ipad: Practice use
The Ipad supports all Apps that have been released for the Iphone. They are either displayed in their original size at the center of the screen or are scaled up to the full resolution. App developers get a SDK that allows them to optimize their applications for the Ipad.
For e-books Apple uses a new application called Ibook. The Ibookstore, which it is based on, is similar to Itunes and offers the option to preview, buy and download e-books. Iwork, an office suite for text processing, presentations and spreadsheets, has also been announced.
Electronic Arts has been presented as a developer and publisher for Ipad games. A trailer of Need for speed: Shift has been shown, too.
Apple Ipad: Pricing and availability
The minimal configuration of the Ipad will come in late March for 499 USD. The international versions with 3G follow a month later and cost quite a bit more.
Default WLAN Ipad
- 16 GB - 499 US-Dollar
- 32 GB - 599 US-Dollar
- 64 GB - 699 US-Dollar
Ipad with 3G
- 16 GB - 629 US-Dollar
- 32 GB - 729 US-Dollar
- 64 GB - 829 US-Dollar
Apple Ipad: Drawbacks and game support
Basically the reactions to the Ipad are rather moderate for an Apple release. Many websites talk about a iant Ipod Touch. The Ipad is said to have not enough unique features that separate it from other Apple gadgets. But perhaps this is also a big advantage.
Below we listed some of the disadvantages of the Ipad that can be found on respective websites.
• Frame too big
• Ipad is too thick in comparison to Kindle
• The virtual keyboard is not ergonomic on the flat surface
• SD memory can't be removed
• No camera (and thus no video calls via Skype & Co.)
• No support for Adobe Flash
• The ISP display needs backlighting and thus needs too much energy. The glare display is problematic for outdoor usage.
• No Mac OS X but Iphone OS 3.2
• No multi tasking
• Data synchronization via Itunes & Co. (no Drag & Drop)