Radeon HD 4830: New AMD graphics card reviewed
With the HD 4830 AMD completes the product array and closes the gap between the Radeon HD 4670 and the HD 4850 with a slimmed down RV770 GPU for about 120 Euros.
AMD wants to fill the gap between the HD 4850 and the low-priced HD 4670 with a new card based on the RV770-GPU, which is used on the HD 4850 and HD 4870, too. The retail price of the HD 4830 is supposed to be around 120 Euros when it is introduced to the markets. According to AMD most online stores will have the card on stock at the official release date.
It seems like the review samples of most websites have been equipped with the wrong number of Shader ALUs and that AMD also created internal performance documentations based on those faulty models. Our sample was delivered with only 560 active shaders, too. Luckily we have access to a fully functional sample from Sapphire. We used this card to receive correct benchmark results and updated our review accordingly. The correct results are colored in red now.
The PCGH benchmark review reveals if the Radeon HD 4830 really is the price performance wonder it is expected to be. We compared a lot of AMD cards to receive a better comparability: The HD 4850, the HD 4670 and the HD 3870, which is the fastest dingle GPU model of the HD 3000 series. From Nvidia's array we chose the Geforce 9800 GT which is also available for about 120 Euros - you can already get some OC versions of the Nvidia card for that price - and the Geforce 9800 GTX+ that is available for an additional 20 Euros.
We tested the cards with Call of Duty 4, Crysis and Race Driver Grid. The DX10 Western Shooter Call of Juarez that really stresses the graphics cards and the venerable Half-Life 2 - upgraded with Episode 2 and the Cinematic Mod - finish of our game benchmarks. The synthetic tools are represented by 3DMark 06 and 3DMark Vantage.
Since those features are important, too, we also check power consumption and loudness.
- 1Radeon HD 4830: New AMD graphics card reviewed
- 2Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Technology
- 3Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Loudness, power consumption and cooling
- 4Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Test system
- 5Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Assassin's Creed (Direct X 10)
- 6Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- 7Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Call of Juarez
- 8Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Crysis (Direct X 10)
- 9Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Half-Life 2 EP2 Cinematic Mod 9
- 10Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Race Driver Grid
- 11Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: 3DMark 06
- 12Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: 3DMark Vantage
- 13Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Overclocking
- 14Radeon HD 4830 reviewed: Conclusion
- 15Bildergalerie zu "Radeon HD 4830: New AMD graphics card reviewed"
Grafikkarten-Rangliste 2016: 32 Radeon- und Geforce-GPUs im Benchmarkvergleich [Oktober]