Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: OC and Extreme-Tests (Hybrid-AA, DX11-Tessellation)
Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Unigine Heaven 2.0 with Extreme Tessellation
The second edition of the Unigine Tessellation tech demo delivers overhauled dynamic lighting, physically animated banners and even more Tessellation. For the latter one you have the settings Moderate, Normal and Extreme. In the Heaven 2.0 benchmark the GF100 cards can show their Tessellation performance and the GTX 470 is much faster than a heavily overclocked HD 5870. The bigger the Tessellation workload the bigger the difference gets. The Geforce GTX 480 can, under certain circumstances, beat the HD 5870 by almost 90 percent - even the show-case Metro 2033 doesn't reveal such a huge dominance.
Geforce GTX 480 and GTX 470 reviewed: Hybrid Anti-Aliasing Benchmarks
Since we have already taken a look at the unofficial Nvidia Hybrid AA modes, we also deliver the appropriate benchmarks. 16xS and 32xS are some of the best AA modes available on a Geforce. We tested both hybrids in combination with Transparency Multisampling.
As you can see the Geforce GTX 285 looses at 32xS while the GTX 400s are not really impressed by the workload. The 8x MSAA weakness of the GT200's ROPs comes into full effect in this case. The 16xS performance of the GTX 470 is a little disappointing since it can't really beat the GTX 285. Apparently the texture fillrate is limiting the overall result.
But the Hybrid modes have a problem: Almost every modern game loses sharpness as soon as one of the modes is active.
Geforce GTX 480 and GTX 470 reviewed: Overclocking
Up to now only a single tool is able to overclock the GTX 480 and GTX 470: The Beta version 1.9.2 of Evga's Precision Tool. The program is, like MSI's Afterburner based on the Rivatuner technology. Since Asus, MSI, Evga and many other companies are advertising OC and undervolting capabilities, we expect updates for all popular tools to arrive soon.
For our OC tests we used our Nvidia sample of the GTX 480 as well as a pre-series sample of an MSI GTX 470 which arrived at our office just recently. For the latter card the Precision tool did not allow us to increase the fan speed, because of what the OC results are slightly limited. The GTX 480 is able to reach noticeably higher frequencies - especially the 0.4 nanosecond memory reaches its theoretical limit of 2500 MHz. During our tests we set the fan speed of the GTX 480 to 80 percent with the result that the GPU temperature didn't exceed 75 degrees Celsius.
The GTX 480 is scaling linear to the chip frequency: An 18 percent increase results in an equally big performance benefit. It seems like the memory of the GTX 470 doesn't like overclocking though. Increasing the GPU frequency of almost 24 percent results in a benefit of only 17 percent - apparently the memory bandwidth becomes a bottleneck. The GTX 470 OC at least beats the Radeon HD 5850 noticeably, but can't reach the HD 5870.
- 1Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Architecture ans Specifications
- 2Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Impressions, Loudness and Power Consumption
- 3Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Image Quality, Anti-Aliasing and AF
- 4Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Test System and Benchmark Selection
- 5Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Anno 1404 (DX10)
- 6Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Armed Assault 2 (DX9)
- 7Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Battlefield Bad Company 2 (DX10)
- 8Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (DX9)
- 9Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (DX11/DX9)
- 10Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Crysis Warhead (DX10)
- 11Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Grand Theft Auto 4 (DX9)
- 12Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Mass Effect 2 (DX9)
- 13Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Metro 2033 (DX11/DX10)
- 14Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark Need for Speed: Shift (DX9)
- 15Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Benchmark WoW: Wrath of the Lich King (DX9)
- 16Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: OC and Extreme-Tests (Hybrid-AA, DX11-Tessellation)
- 17Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Multi-GPU-Shoot-Out
- 18Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Tech Demos, PhysX and Folding at Home
- 19Geforce GTX 480/470 reviewed: Conclusion
- 20Bildergalerie zu "Geforce GTX 480 and GTX 470 reviewed: Fermi performance…
Grafikkarten-Rangliste 2016: 28 Radeon- und Geforce-GPUs im Benchmarkvergleich [Juli]