Geforce GTX 285 officially introduced: Details about the new Nvidia card - review follows
New graphics card with 55 nm GPU: today the Geforce GTX 285 was officially introduced by Nvidiaand although we are not allowed to present a review yet, one thing is sure: The GTX 285 replaces the GTX 280 as the fastest single GPU graphics card.
The GTX 285 comes with increased clock speeds (compared to the GTX 280) for the GT200 GPU and the 1,024 MiByte GDDR3 video memory. This is possible because of the new 55 nanometer structure, which has been used by Nvidia's competitor AMD for more than a year already. The higher clock speeds combined with the same architecture give the GTX 285 a performance benefit of about 10 percent compared to the GTX 280.
The recommended retail price for the GTX 285 is 369 Euro - incidentally the price several AMD cards of the HD 4870 X2 series dropped down to today. Overclocked versions of the GTX 285 can be expected for additional 20 to 30 Euros.
Today Nvidia only introduces the technical details of the card, benchmarks and availability of the card are said to be delivered on the official launch date. Rumors on the web name the 15th January, but we can neither deny nor confirm this. But Nvidia says that the GTX 285 cards will be available on 15.01.2009.
The technical specifications (differing values of GTX 280 in brackets)
• Ca. Price: 370 Euro (300 Euro)
• Clock speed Shader ALUs: 1,476 MHz (1,296 MHz)
• Clock speed ROP domain (core frequency): 648 MHz (602 MHz)
• Clock speed VRAM: 1,242 MHz (1,107 MHz)
• Memory bandwidth: 158,976 MiByte/sec. (141,696 MiByte/sec.)
• VRAM size: 1,024 MiByte GDDR3
• Number of Shader ALUs: 240
• Number of texture units (TMUs): 80
• Texture fillrate: 51.840 MTex/sec. (48.160 MTex/sec.)
• Render backends/ROPs: 32
• Architecture: 55nm (65nm)
• TDP: 183 watt (236 watt)
• Cooling: 80 mm radial fan, dual slot
• Power supply: PCI-E slot + 2x 6-pin connector (PCI-E slot + 6-pin and 8-pin connector)
The PCB is still 26.7 centimeters long, but the metal cover on the backside vanished in the course of cost reduction and isn't required anymore because the video memory mas been placed on the front side of the card.
Additional details with direct comparisons between the GTX 284 and the GTX 280 can be found in our extensive picture gallery with 48 images.
Grafikkarten-Rangliste 2017: 33 Radeon- und Geforce-GPUs im Benchmarkvergleich [Mai - jetzt mit Titan Xp und RX 580]