Download: Batman Arkham Asylum Patch 1.1 delivers GPU Physx
Batman: Arkham Asylum is regarded to be one of the best games this year. Now a patch for the PC version has been released that integrates GPU Physx in addition to the already available CPU calculated physics.
Publisher Eidos has released Patch 1.1 for Batman: Arkham Asylum for download. The 270 MByte big update integrates GPU Physx into the game. The PC version of Batman: Arkham Asylum supports Physx since the game was released, but up to now the physics calculations had been done by the CPU - now the GPU can be used to do them, too.
Patch: Physx in Batman: Arkham Asylum
The file archive of the patch also contains an extensive readme that deals with general problems and known issues. Below you can find the part that deals with the Physx support in Batman: Arkham Asylum.
NVIDIA PhysX Hardware Acceleration Support
• Acceleration is supported on all NVIDIA CUDA enabled processors with at least 256MB local memory and 32 bit processors. Both single and multi-GPU configurations are supported. This game features state of the art graphics and PhysX features and as such is best enjoyed on a high performance system.
To enjoy the highest resolutions with all features the recommended configuration would be a GeForce GTX260 for graphics complemented with a GeForce 9800GTX or higher dedicated for PhysX, GTX280 or higher is recommended for single GPU operation.
• To enjoy PhysX GPU acceleration on Windows 7 all add-in graphics cards have to feature NVIDIA GPUs. Mixed Vendor graphics will result in all the PhysX simulation being performed in software on the CPU and performance will be not optimized and in some cases too slow for playability.
• PhysX Acceleration on the AGEIA PPU is not a recommended or a supported configuration for this game title.
• Please note on occasions that the combined graphics and physics load exceeds the system capabilities, the game will gracefully reduce the amount of simulation occurring - this may be seen as frozen paper and disabling some of the particle effects. This can be overcome by upgrading your system or reducing some of the graphics settings.
• Performance is optimised for the default settings, in extreme cases slow down or instability may occur if these are set beyond your recommended specification.
Background Batman: Arkham Asylum
The PC version of Batman: Arkham Asylum has several advantages in comparison to the console version. Besides the possibility to run the game at higher resolutions or adjusted graphics settings, it also offers additional Physx effects and support for 3D Vision. If you want to know more about Batman: Arkham Asylum we recommend the articles Batman: Arkham Asylum - New Physx video - Update: DLC confirmed for all platforms and Batman: Arkham Asylum at 5040 x 1050 pixels plus widescreen benchmarks. PC Games Hardware has also tested how the CPU Physx affect the performance (see: Batman: Arkham Asylum - Physx benchmarks with comparison shots and video).